Choosing Padding for your CarpetIn Winter on May 8, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Written by greenadmin
Every carpet installation in a home requires padding to be installed with it and there are just as many varieties of carpet padding available as there is carpeting. Carpet padding is available in different styles and is typically made from materials such as sponge rubber, foam rubber, urethane foam, bonded urethane, and felted combinations. The key to quality carpet padding is their strength and durability.
Good carpet padding:
- Adds to the comfort by absorbing the pressure of foot traffic.
- Absorbs sound and provides thermal insulation.
- Prevents the carpet from looking matted down or worn out.
- Provides air space to help the carpet breathe.
Bad carpet padding:
- Can cause the carpet to wrinkle or buckle.
- Causes the carpet to separate from the backing or fall apart at the seams.
- Urethane Foam Pad and Primate Polyurethane Foam Padding: This padding type is quite dense and is usually not the best option for carpet padding because it cannot support the typical foot traffic in a home. There are premium versions of this padding available that provide more support but they are expensive.
- Rebond Pad – Bonded Urethane and Bonded Polyurethane: This padding type is an excellent choice because it is much more durable than urethane foam padding and very affordable. Rebond pad is made from recycled, high density foam and if you choose the right density, it can last for up to 10 years.
- Synthetic Fiber Padding: This padding is dense and flat and is typically used in specific situations such as commercial and Berber carpeting. Synthetic fiber padding is available in low, medium, and high traffic grades and should only be used if required by the carpet manufacturer.
- Waffle Rubber: This padding has a look similar to a tire tread with air pockets that provide less support than solid rubber padding. Waffle rubber padding should be at least 90 ounces for the desired effect and it will work better than foam padding but not as well as solid rubber padding.
- Flat Rubber and Slab Rubber Padding: This padding type is the highest quality of any carpet padding available because it is soft but firm enough to resist crushing from furniture and heavy foot traffic. Rubber padding can be quite expensive but it is an excellent choice for people planning on living in the same house for a long time, high foot traffic areas, and for carpet types that need extra durability like Berber carpeting.
The right carpet padding can add to the comfort of the carpet by providing support and also minimize noise and cold air by absorbing sound and providing insulation. The different types of carpet padding available provide different levels of support and vary in price depending on their quality. Consult the carpet manufacturer or ask a professional when deciding on a padding type for your carpet. If you are in need of professional carpet cleaning services, contact Green T Carpet Cleaning.Comment »